Heart Disease Prevention
Heart Health Interactive Activities
Heart Health Activity Sheets
Heart Health Lessons
Your Heart: What is it and what does it do?
- Describe the anatomy of a heart
- Recall how the heart and circulatory system function
Maintaining a Healthy Heart
- Recognize exercise reduces the risk of heart disease.
- Connect high blood pressure, cholesterol, and blood sugar with the disease they cause.
Heart Rate and Exercise Intensity
- Define the different intensities of physical activity and how it affects heart rate and breathing.
- Measure the heart rate at different intensities and identify physical activities of different intensities.
Heart Health and Stress Management
- Describe the impact stress can have on the heart.
- List strategies that can be used to reduce stress.
Lesson Six - Careers in Cardiology
- Describe the different careers in the healthcare system.
- Explore the types of training and education required for healthcare careers.
- Discover their own skills and interest and how that might apply as a healthcare professional.
Energy Drinks and Kids
A one page resource providing an overview of energy drinks, warnings of serious side effects and suggestions for alternatives.
School Wellness Program
SWITCH is an innovative school wellness initiative developed to support and enhance school wellness programming. Through SWITCH, schools can help students to "Switch what they DO, View, and Chew!"
Iowa schools are provided with resources, training and support. SWITCH is managed by 4-H Youth Development through Iowa State University Extension and Outreach. The Iowa Heart Foundation partners with the SWITCH program by providing financial support for program coordination, evaluation efforts, and heart health lessons to enhance the program.
Iowa Heart Center Prevention & Wellness Clinic
The Iowa Heart Foundation supported the culinary medicine certification for Iowa Heart Center Prevention & Wellness Clinic's registered dietitian.
Recipes from Diane McIlhon, RDN, LD – MercyOne Iowa Heart Center Prevention and Wellness Clinic